Tuesday 10 April 2007

My cousin in Cardiff

I've just heard that the smoking ban in Wales has begun. I have a cousin living in Cardiff who smokes and was talking to her about how things have changed. To my surprise, Sally told me that not much had! People still smoke as and when they want in the street like before, and she's even been to restaurants where nobody's taken much notice.

I asked her if her local pub and the bingo hall she goes to have changed. She said the pub tries to enforce it as they serve food, and that it's a taboo to try lighting up at bingo. Now her and her friends have to pop outside to light up, but then they miss the bingo calls! Her one friend who doesn't smoke has to try keeping an eye on all their cards while the game carries on as they nip out!

I couldn't believe what she was telling me and asked her how she can be bothered to keep that up. She said it's not as fun as before but that she's stopped going too much and plays with her friends online instead. I'm not sure on the idea but might give it a go. I can imagine it being pretty funny, talking to her all the way in Cardiff whilst we're both blotting a card or two!

No comments: